Sunday, February 5, 2012

Messerschmitt P.1106 R - Part 9 (REBOOT!)

I'm back!!!!  And I've not yet given up on the P.1106R.
Taking into account the painful lessons learned on the P.1106R's original design, I decided to throw everything away and start from scratch.



One of the most annoying things about the last design was that the cross section of the fuselage, especially at the wing root area had a complex compound curve.    This made it really hard to wrap the fuselage skin around the fuselage formers.  The reason why I was forced to make that weird cross section was that I had to make space for the wheel wells.

Anyway, in this reboot, I'm totally aiming to keep the fuselage cross sections as simple as possible.  As I move along, I'll try to find a different way to solve that issue with the wheel well.

Also, I'm going to experiment with using more b-spline patches shaping the plane.

And here it goes!


It took a bit of experimentation, but I must admit that b-spline (or catmull) patches are the way to go when you want to produce natural curvy surfaces like those on the P.1106R.  Once I was happy with the shape, I let Metaseq "freeze" the patch to create a wire frame model that I can simplify and refine further.


Freezing a b-spline patch will produce the complex surfaces shown in the picture above.  Although it's nice to look at, it's overkill for Pepakura (unless of course you're going to do a 1:1 scale model).  But for a 1:48 scale model, I'll have to get rid of a lot of those segments.  For this, I use the Knife->Erase chained lines.  I'll also delete half of the model to take advantage of the mirroring function of metaseq.


After deleting excess segments, and performing the necessary boolean operations, I wound up with the picture above.  So far so good!

My next task would be to carve out those wheel wells and make the landing gear.
Post a Comment