Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 12

And I'm happy to say the camo job is officially over! :)

Here are some posterity shots:
I recycled the landing gear textures from my Heinkel P.1078 model.  No point in reinventing the wheel...heheheh.

The wheel wells on this plane are quite spacious.  I had to take extra effort to add additional details.

Finally, the exhausts...nothing much here.

Here's a small preview of the unfolded parts, ready for assembly.

Now all that's left to do is to make that final build.  After that, I'll have to make some basic instructions before releasing this model.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 11

Almost there!

Just need to finish the landing gears.  After that, I'll be ready for the final build.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 10

Very little progress today. :(

Here's what I've got:
Making those rivet marks on the wing at up a lot of time.  (Of course...washing and waxing the car too... :) )

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 09

A little progress on the paint job.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I'm going to pattern the paint job after Erich Hartmann's plane.  Hartmann's plane is famous for its black tulip nose pattern.

Being a big fan of Erich Hartmann, I've always wanted to create a Luft46 airplane that bears his paint job.

So far, I've finished doing the fuselage:
More tomorrow. :)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 08

Some finishing touches.... the landing gears and the wheel well covers.
Nothing mucht to show here.  Just your garden variety generic landing gears.

And...after a long delay, the first prototype rolls out of the factory doors.  I proudly present my design of the Blohm und Voss P.121.02 fighter:  

I'm now working on skinning the model.  More updates next week!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 07

I can't believe I forgot to assemble the front wheel well!  Grrrr!

Oh well...

Next to wing and body formers, wheel wells are the most difficult part of the fuselage to assemble due to the tight/snug fit.  I usually assemble the wheel wells first and wrap the fuselage around them.  In this model, I completely forgot to do this for the front wheel well.

SO, in assembling this, I ditched the idea of using glue tabs and tried to attach the edges of the well well walls by butt-joining them. (See picture above.)

The absence of the glue tab bulges should make the task of squeezing in the wheel well a lot easier.

Messy! :(

I'll end my weekend build by attaching the canopy.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 06

Finally, some real progress!  :)

I started off with making the engine intakes.
The engine intakes comprises 5 parts.  Those "wavy patterns" you see are the valley/mountain fold markes added by Pepakura.  They'll disappear once I add the textures later on.

Here's how it looks like when completed.  Notice that the printed side is rolled inwards. 

Next up is the parts for the engine exhaust. 

Good fit so far.

The rest of the fuselage parts are pretty much standard fare.   The picture above shows the finished components that comprise the fuselage.

Assembly starts with the front most parts.  I attached the first 4 components (seen from the left of the fifth picture above).  Before attaching the next component, I affixed the engine intakes.

Here's another shot of how the engine intakes look after attached to the fuselage.

Now comes the hard part.  The rear wheel wells were a bit hard to fit. 

Fuselage done!

Before calling it a night, I tried to dry-fit the wings.

Yeah!  Hehehehe.... Fits perfectly!
The horizontal bars you saw on some of the formers worked in ensuring that the dihedrals of the wings are angled correctly.

Man those wings are big....

Here's a shot of the wheel wells.

That's all for now...