Saturday, February 18, 2012

Messerschmitt P.1106 R - Part 12

I just finished performing the UV-mapping for all the components of the model.

In my previous models, I just let Metaseq automatically layout the UV maps for me.
But for some reason, Metaseq decided to punish me for the P.1106R's fuselage.

Normally, when I hit the "ATLAS" button on the UV-Mapping tool window, Metaseq would produce a nice layout without any overlapping surfaces.  But for this one...well.

So, I had to do a lot of re-layouting to get the parts right and to maximize the limited bitmap space that I have.

What I did was to save my Pepakura unfold as an image, then use that as a "guide" for lining up the UV Maps.

Although it took much more tedious and repetetive work, I think it came out better. 

Also, since the UV-Maps are in correct proportion with the actual unfolded surfaces, I think I'll get a nice bonus of having perfectly proportioned roundels.  I won't have to purposely deform my roundels to make them appear correctly in the UV Map.  The image above is the UV-Mapped texture I used for the BV212.  Notice how I had to deform the roundels.   I did this because I used the default UV-unwrap that was produced by Metaseq's ATLAS function.

Anyway, here's a picture of the progress so far:
RLM83 is not the final color I plan to use.  I just did a hasty paint job to see what it looks like. 
Time to do a little research.  I'll probably base the camo job on the Natter or Komet.
More later...

Post a Comment