Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blohm und Voss P.212.02 - part 04

I can't believe how slow my progress is!  I must pick up the pace one way or another...

Anyway, here's what I have so far.

First, the nacelle at the wing tips.

If you recall from my previous post, the nacelle was a bit 'fat'.  In fact, it looked more like a fuel tank!  According to the 3-view diagrams over at the Luft'46 site, the nacelle should have been 'flush' with the wing tip.

And so I labored for many hours trying to find the best way to make the nacelle fit the open edge of the wing tip.

And here's what I got:
So far so good!  Much better than the previous design.  Most of the time spent for this was to align the segments of the nacelle with a corresponding segment on the wing.  Doing this will help Metaseq produce a cleaner result by the time I do a boolean operation (Wing minus Nacelle).

Now my problem is that the nacelles are a bit on the narrow side.  Almost like landing gear struts.  If this ends up being hard to assemble, I may bump up the scale to 1:32.  For now, I'm sticking with 1:48.

Next, I spent the rest of the weekend making the formers:
The fuselage formers (yellow) were relatively straightforward to make.  Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the wing formers.  The wing formers required a lot of work.  Due to the dihedral of the wing, I couldn't just slice away with the knife tool to make the spars.  I had to do some basic trigonometric calculations to derive the wing angle.  Once I got the angle, I created a couple of plane primitives, which I then tilted to intersect the wings at 90 degrees.  After that, I did a boolean operation to intersect the tilted plane with the wing to produce the cross cut which would later be used to make the spars. 

Boy... I guess my high school trigonometry class had some use after all! Hehehehe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

tol nalugay ako sa mga binanggit mong trigonometric jargons, he he he goodwork!

Unknown said...

nalugaw ang utak pala, he he he

eric said...

Heheheh... ako rin eh.
Ang tagal ko rin naghanap sa Google at Wikipedia para makuha muli yung mga forumulang yon. (i.e. radians = atan ( height / base )

Ginawan ko na lang ng spreadsheet para madaling ma-input sa susunod. :)

Beardrooler said...

wala na sabog na ko.