Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Magnet Tool Revisited

I don't know if you've already figured this out...but I thought it might be worth documenting nonetheless...

Previously, I wrote a short tutorial on how to use Metaseq's magnet tool to create smooth wing (or fuselage) cross sections.

At that time, I was not aware of a particular parameter/field in the Magnet tool's dialog window which could have made the job a lot easier.  This field is called the Range field.  This field apparently controls the area of effect of the magnet tool.

To demonstrate, I start with the following cross section:


By default, the Range field of the magnet tool is set to 100.    If I use the default value on the cross section I created, this is what I get: 

If I adjust the Field value to "75", the effect of the magnet tool is lessened.  Notice how the magnet tool affects even the bottom nodes:

Now, if I adjust the Magnet tool's Range value to, say... "50",  the effect now looks a lot like what is sone on the magnet icon. :)  Also, the bottom nodes are no longer affected:

Bumping it down to "25" produces the following:

Here's how it looks like when you use the circular icon (2nd icon):

Here's what the 3rd icon's effect looks like:

Finally, here's what the last icon's effect looks like:


Now, let's revisit the wing cross section (chord) creation.

Start with an oval shape like the following:

Reduce the magnet tool's Range field to around "90".  (Or less, depending on how you created your oval shape.)  Select the 2nd icon (the round shape).  Now, slighty flatten the bottom part of the oval so that it looks like the following picture:

Now, use the 3rd icon and pull out the right end of the oval to produce the tail end of the cross section. 


With a bit of experimentation, you can tweak the Range field of the magnet tool to produce irregular shaped fuselage cross like the one I used for the Messerschmitt P.1106 R:

Cheers!

No comments: